The Noosa River is one of three river catchments located within or partly within the Noosa Shire Council area.
The Noosa River flows south from the Cooloola Section of the Great Sandy National Park into Laguna Bay. It is fed by springs that drain major sand deposits and is one of the few Queensland Rivers with a continuous year-round freshwater inflow.
A number of the Mary River tributaries are located in the hinterland regions of Noosa Shire. Six Mile Creek is the largest of these and Lake Macdonald is the impounded reservoir of the Six Mile Creek Dam which forms part of South East Queensland's drinking water supply. These creeks flow into the Mary River and north to Hervey Bay.
Tributaries of the Maroochy River catchment are found in the southern parts of the Shire near Lake Weyba. These are the headwaters of Doonan Creek and the northern arm of Stumers Creek. Both these creeks flow south from the Noosa border.
Statistics and Facts
- Noosa Shire Council area 869.8km2
- Noosa River catchment covers 63% of the Noosa Shire
- Mary River catchment covers 36%
- Maroochy River catchment covers 1%
- Map of the rivers and creeks within the Noosa Shire area [2.2MB]
River and Creek Health
More about Noosa River System
- Noosa Waterways Assessment Report
- Walking the Landscape – Noosa Catchment Story
- Noosa River Plan (2004) [727KB] A new Noosa River Plan is in final draft stages and will be available for consultation in 2018. See the Noosa River Community Jury project for previous community consultation on management of the Noosa River.
- Noosa River Marine Zones
- Noosa River’s migratory shorebirds [944KB]
- Map of shorebird feeding and roosting areas at the river mouth [2.4MB]
- Historical ecology of the Noosa Estuary Fisheries [2.4MB]
- History of Aquatic Restoration and Management Options for Noosa Estuary and Lakes [4MB]
- Restoration of Noosa Estuary - An Assessment of Oyster Recruitment [2.8MB]
- Guidelines for Establishment of New Businesses on the Noosa River [27KB]
Management of the Noosa River
|Topic||Management Agency||Contact Details|
| ||Noosa Council||Customer Service Centre |
(07) 5329 6500 (including After Hours emergencies)
| || |
| || |
After hours incident reporting:
| || |
| || |
State Land Asset Management
Note: If logging a complaint please provide sufficient details of the offence for the relevant management agency to take appropriate action. This includes registration number of boat or trailer, date, time, location and photographic evidence.