Complaints Process

Council is committed to managing customer feedback and ensuring all complaints are dealt with in a fair, prompt and confidential manner.  Council has a Customer Service Charter detailing its commitment to high quality customer service standards. Council aspires to provide a level of service that does not attract complaints. However, Council acknowledges the public’s right to provide feedback on services, including the right to lodge a complaint about a decision or other action Council has taken, or failed to take, where considered appropriate to do so.

  • Council's Code of Conduct for Councillors [150KB] sets out, for both Councillors and the community, the standards of behaviour expected of Noosa Council Councillors.

    Pursuant to section 150O of the Local Government Act 2009, a person may make a complaint to the Independent Assessor about the conduct of a Councillor.

    The Office of the Independent Assessor will assess all complaints received. The Assessor may also initiate their own investigation if they have reason to suspect Councillor misconduct or inappropriate conduct.

    If sufficient information is provided to the Independent Assessor and the complaint constitutes misconduct or inappropriate conduct, it will either be investigated by the Office of Independent Assessor or referred by to Council for investigation in accordance with its Investigation Policy.

    If the Independent Assessor reasonably suspects a complaint or information involves, or may involve, corrupt conduct the Independent Assessor must notify the Crime and Corruption Commission.

    If the complaint is vexatious or frivolous, it will be dismissed and the complainant advised. Please note that penalties apply for making frivolous and vexatious complaints.

    At the end of the investigation, the Independent Assessor may:

    • Take no further action on the complaint;
    • If the Independent Assessor reasonably suspects the conduct is inappropriate conduct refer the conduct to Council to deal with; or
    • If the Independent Assessor reasonably suspects the conduct is misconduct, make an application for the matter to be heard by the Councillor Conduct Tribunal.

    Information regarding making a complaint to the Office of the Independent Assessor can be accessed here:

    View Council's Councillor Conduct Register.

  • Pursuant to section 150DX Local Governments must keep and publish a Councillor Conduct Register about the following matters:

    • Orders made about the unsuitable meeting conduct of Councillors at its local government meetings;
    • Decisions about the suspected inappropriate conduct of Councillors referred to the local government;
    • Decisions about whether or not Councillors engaged in misconduct made by the conduct tribunal;
    • Complaints about the conduct of Councillors dismissed by the Office of Independent Assessor;
    • Decisions to take no further action in relation to the conduct of Councillors investigated by the assessor.
  • Noosa Shire Council provides a development compliance service to action enquiries, requests and complaints regarding:

    • illegal buildings/structures;
    • illegal activities/planning uses; or
    • swimming pools (illegal fencing).

    To lodge a complaint, please provide details in writing and email/mail the complaint to Council. Please include the details of the complainant's name and address and full details of the complaint and the address. Please also include supporting photos.

    • email
    • letter - PO Box 141, Tewantin, Queensland 4565.
  • Noosa Council has zero tolerance for fraud and corruption.

    Council is committed to the prevention of fraud and corruption and seeks to promote a strong culture of governance to detect, investigate and take appropriate action in cases of suspected or proven fraud and corruption.

    If you would like to report suspected fraud and corruption at Council, your information will be kept strictly confidential.  Options for reporting suspected fraud and corruption are as follows:

    -     The anonymous whistleblower hotline operated by PKF Integrity;


    -     Council’s Governance Branch

    • Email to
    • Phone (07) 5329 6500
    • Post to Governance Branch, Noosa Shire Council, PO Box 141, Tewantin QLD 4565
    • In person at the Customer Service Centre, Noosa Shire Council, 9 Pelican Street, Tewantin QLD.   


    For further details, please refer to Council’s Fraud and Corruption Control Policy.

  • Noosa Council is committed to protecting and promoting human rights by ensuring that human rights are considered when making, interpreting and applying laws, developing policies, and providing services to our community.

    The Queensland Human Rights Act 2019 commenced on 1 July 2019 and obligations for public entities, including Council, commenced in full on 1 January 2020.

    This is an important development in recognising the essential role human rights play in our society because the legislation will:

    • protect the rights of vulnerable Queenslanders by addressing disadvantage;
    • result in development of a human rights culture across communities in Queensland;
    • lead to improved law making and government policy;
    • result in improved public service delivery; and,
    • assist Australia to fulfil its international human rights obligations.

    What are “human rights”?

    Human rights apply to all individuals and are based on principles of freedom, respect, equality and dignity. Human rights recognise the inherent value of each person, regardless of background, where we live, what we look like, what we think or what we believe. In other words, human rights belong to all people by virtue of being human.

    The Act protects 23 fundamental human rights.

    To ensure compliance and implementation of the Human Rights Act 2019, Council have adopted a Human Rights Policy.

    Human Rights Complaints

    If you believe Council has breached your human rights obligations then you have the right to make a complaint.

    Under the Human Rights Act 2019, an individual must first raise a complaint directly with Council. Once 45 business days have elapsed, the person may refer the matter to the Queensland Human Rights Commission if the complaint has not been responded to or the person is not satisfied with the response.

    If you would like to make a complaint to Council, you are encouraged to complete the form and submit to Council via:

    • Governance email;
    • Post – PO Box 141, TEWANTIN QLD 4565.

    Alternatively, you can telephone or attend in person our Customer Service Centre, located at 9 Pelican Street Tewantin QLD 4565.

    More Information

    For more information, please contact Council’s Governance Branch via email.

    You can also find more information on the Human Rights Act 2019 at the Queensland Human Rights Commission website.

  • Issues or queries involving dogs and other animals can be submitted directly to council via the online service request.

    Aggressive/menacing behaviour
    General animal enquiry
    Attack on an animal or person
    Dead animals on public land
    Feral animals on public land
    Registration enquiries

  • Council is currently working on the development of an Unreasonable Complainant Conduct Policy which will detail Council's approach to managing the conduct of unreasonable complainants.  In the interim, Council currently relies on the recommendation provided by the Ombudsman on managing unreasonable complainant conduct.  See Ombudsman's page here.

    As outlined in Council’s Customer Service Charter, you can also help us provide a better service by treating staff with courtesy and respect and avoiding the use of abusive and threatening language and/or behaviour when contacting Council.

  • Privacy Complaints

    If you believe that Council has not dealt with your personal information in accordance with the Information Privacy Act 2009, you may make a privacy complaint.

    If you wish to lodge a privacy complaint with us, please submit your complaint in writing to our Governance Officer via the Privacy Complaint Form available for download and completion here. Our Governance Officer will contact you within three business days to discuss your complaint.

  • The general rates levied on a property where you live i.e. your principal place of residence (PPR) are different to the general rates levied on a residential property if you own it but don't live there. If you think the incorrect category has been applied to your property, read rates information for further details.

  • Please complete a online service request form if you would like to notify council about:

  • An infringement notice may be withdrawn in certain circumstances. Visit our Infringement Notices page for further details.

  • Council has in place a formal "administrative action complaints process”, which provides customers with the opportunity to request a review of administrative decisions made by Council officers or Council where there are no other formal appeal provisions available under legislation or within Council.

    An administrative action may include a decision, or a failure to make a decision, a failure to provide a written statement of reasons for a decision, an act, a failure to do an act, the formulation of a proposal or intention, or the making of a recommendation.

    This complaints process is not about raising a "request for service", these should be made directly to Council’s customer service team or the relevant Council department.

    If you are dissatisfied with administrative action taken by Council, you are encouraged  to complete the Administrative Action Complaint Form (PDF) and submit to Council via:

    • Governance email;
    • Post - PO Box 141, Tewantin, Queensland 4565.

    Our Governance Officer will contact you within three business days to acknowledge your complaint.

    Council’s Administrative Action Complaints Process can be viewed in full Administrative Action Complaints Process [320KB].