Fences & Driveways

Approval to build a fence

Property owners planning to build a fence of more than two metres in height must obtain a building development approval from a private building certifier, in addition to meeting the requirements under the Neighbourhood Disputes Resolution Act.

The private certifier will refer the application to Council for assessment against the Queensland Development Code.

Dividing Fences

The Queensland government has passed new laws regarding dividing fences. The Neighbourhood Disputes Resolution Act started on 1 November 2011 and provides ways for neighbours to resolve disputes about dividing fences.

New legislation

The Act includes a wider definition of the term 'fence' and clearer definition of the term 'sufficient dividing fence'. Other general changes include:

  • a single notice for contribution to fencing work form
  • clarification that the ownership of a dividing fence on a common boundary is shared equally
  • the distinction between a retaining wall and a fence
  • clearer rules for pastoral and agricultural fences.

Under the new Act, the Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal (QCAT) is named as the body that deals with these matters.

Visit the Department of Justice and Attorney General's website for information relating to dispute processes, forms to use, FAQs or to view a copy of the Act.

Vehicle crossovers

Driveway access from the road to private property is known as a vehicle crossover. The crossover is the part of a driveway that starts at the property boundary and extends to the road crossing over Council-controlled land.

Construction, maintenance, alteration and repair of a crossover is the responsibility of the property owner. This includes all pipes, kerbing and any other work undertaken as part of the construction.

Written approval may be required by Council to construct, modify or alter a crossover if the proposed crossover is considered a non-standard crossover. Basic maintenance and upkeep, such as repairing cracks or mowing the footpath does not require Council approval. 

There is a fact sheet available to assist in determining if your proposed vehicle crossover requirements are considered by Council as standard or nonstandard;

  • Standard vehicle crossover. If the proposed crossover is considered as standard, then no further application is required to Council and the customer can be guided by the Standard Driveway crossover construction terms and conditions and attached standard drawings included in the Council Fact Sheet
  • Non-standard vehicle crossover. This type of crossover requires an Operational Works application, DA Form 1 - Development Application Details.  Fees are applicable. The applicant will be contacted within 10 business days.

Construction, modification or alteration of a non-standard vehicle crossover must not commence until approval has been received.