Bushland Reserve Management
Council manages approximately 3,500 hectares of native bushland throughout the Shire for conservation purposes. These natural areas contain a diversity of vegetation types and provide valuable habitat for native animals. They form corridors and refuge areas for the movement of wildlife within the Shire and beyond.
Council has developed the following two documents:
- Draft Bushland Reserve Strategic Management Plan 2021-2026 which identifies reserves that are a priority for environmental management. Management actions focus on protecting and enhancing vegetation and habitat on reserves with the most significant environmental and community values
- Draft Bushland Reserve Strategic Fire Management Plan 2021 which identifies priority reserves for fire management actions based on a comprehensive bushfire risk assessment across all 178 reserves. Actions include fire trail works, planned burns and collaborative working arrangements with neighbours and other government agencies.
Consultation on the Draft Bushland Reserve Strategic Management Plan 2021-2026 and the Draft Bushland Reserve Strategic Fire Management Plan 2021 is now closed. Council would like to thank the submitters for their responses. Submissions will be reviewed and considered in the final Strategic Plans.
Noosa Shire also has numerous recreational parks, including the beautiful Noosa Botanic Gardens at Lake Macdonald. For more information, visit the Recreational Parks page.
Bushland reserves also provide a green addition to built-up urban areas and offer opportunities for the community to enjoy nature-based recreation.
What degrades bushland reserves?
Weed invasions, various land use encroachments, inappropriate recreational use and feral animals impact on the environmental and social values of bushland reserves.
Ongoing management in the form of weed and pest control as well as fire-trail maintenance is required to protect these values now and for future generations.
How can residents help?
- Are you a good bushland neighbour? [591KB]
- Dumping of garden waste [762KB]
- Become a bushland care volulnteer