Dog Registration

Registering dogs helps Council to identify impounded or found dogs and reunite them quickly with their owners.

It also provides Council with information that helps ensure appropriate services such as waste bags, litter bins and off-leash areas are provided where they are needed. Dog registration fees are used to inform and educate the community about dogs.

All dogs over the age of three months must be registered with their local council in accordance with the Animal Management (Cats & Dogs) Act 2008. Registration is renewed annually and dogs must wear the registration tag issued by Council.

Dogs must be registered if:

  • they are older than three months of age; or
  • you have recently (within 14 days) become the owner of a dog that is not registered in your name; or
  • you have recently (within 14 days) moved to the area.

Registering your dog

To register your dog for the first time in Noosa Shire, complete this dog registration application.

Please check our Dog page for details about what it means to be a responsible dog owner in Noosa Shire.

Email my dog registration renewal notice

If your dog is already registered in Noosa Shire and you would like your renewal notice emailed in the future, visit Email my dog registration renewal notice page.

Registration fee

A full list of fees is listed on the dog registration form. Free registration applies to puppies under the age of six months at the time of registration, and reduced fees apply for de-sexed dog/s where the documented proof is provided. De-sexed dogs owned by either a disability pensioner, age pensioner or Veterans Affairs Gold Card Holder are free. Proof of pension is required at the time of registration. 

Council can fine owners for keeping an unregistered dog.

Renewing your dog registration

Council issues a registration renewal notice each year for each registered dog.

The notice allows for a number of ways to pay your dog registration renewal:

  • pay via our payment page
  • pay via BPay by contacting your bank to make a payment from your cheque, savings, debit or transaction account
  • pay in person at any post office, within the accepted payment time frame
  • post a cheque or money order to PO Box 141, TEWANTIN QLD 4565. Include the bottom section of your animal renewal form with animal details.

You will need your reference number. Refer to your renewal notice for fees.

Changes to dog details

Complete the update animal registration online form if details have changed. If the animal is changing owner, the new owner will normally be required to provide sufficient proof of ownership. Contact council for further information. 

Transferring registration from another council

New residents to Noosa can transfer their dog registration for free if the dog is currently registered with another Queensland Council. Proof the dog is currently registered is required. Complete the dog registration form to transfer the dog registration to Noosa Council.

Maximum number of dogs and cats

Noosa Council allows a maximum of two dogs and two cats per property.

If you do not own the property where the additional animals will be kept or your property is part of a body corporate, you must provide written consent from the property owner/body corporate. 

Residents must apply to the council for a permit should they wish to keep more than two dogs or two cats per property. To apply, complete the application form below and return to Council.


Micro-chipping cats and dogs is compulsory if:

  • the dog or cat is older than 12 weeks as of 1 July 2009
  • the ownership of the dog or cat has changes after the 1 July 2009
  • the dog is a regulated dangerous or menacing dog.

Council recommends that all dogs and cats are micro-chipped. Ensure the pet's microchip details are up-to-date with the microchip register. This will help Council, the vet or lost animal shelter to reunite pet and the owner quickly and easily. Microchip details can be updated at

Licences & Permits for Other Animals 

Keeping of other animals such as poltury or live stock may require additional approvals, depending on the number of animals, location and size of your property. Please contact council for further information relating to your particular circumstances.