Australian Citizenship Ceremonies
The final step in the journey to becoming an Australian citizen, for most people, is to make the Australian Citizenship Pledge at an Australian citizenship ceremony. Council runs citizenship ceremonies on behalf of the Department of Home Affairs (HA).
Once your application has been approved, you will be invited to attend a citizenship ceremony.
Citizenship ceremonies are special events. They fulfill requirements under Australian citizenship law. They also provide an important opportunity to officially welcome new citizens as full members of the Australian community. They are often an emotional experience for the new citizen, as well as their host and guests.
* Please Note: Under direction from the Federal Government during the COVID-19 restrictions, all face-to-face Citizenship Ceremonies will be held in a very limited in capacity. Home Affairs will prioritise delegates accordingly and will contact delegates directly in relation to their inclusion in the ceremony. As a result, we will hold smaller events for the remainder of the 2020 year.
Citizenship ceremonies in Noosa for the remainder of 2020 are as follows:
- October 13 - held at Council Chambers
- October 27 - held at Council Chambers
A citizenship ceremony consists of:
- Presiding Officer's welcome
- Citizenship preamble
- Citizenship pledges
- Presentation of citizenship certificates
- Singing the Australian national anthem
Council provides a ceremony where you can state your Pledge after you have successfully applied for Australian citizenship. At the ceremony, you will receive your Certificate of Australian Citizenship, dated and signed. From that date on, you are an Australian citizen.
Before you are eligible to take part in a citizenship ceremony, you must have:
- completed your application process with the Department of Home Affairs; and
- received your letter of approval from the Minister for Home Affairs.
Council receives updated candidate lists from the Department of Home Affairs approximately four weeks prior to a ceremony. These lists have details of the candidates who have received approval and are eligible to attend a ceremony by residing within the Noosa Council boundaries.
2020 Citizenship Ceremonies
Questions relating to the citizenship application process can be answered by the Department of Home Affairs Ceremonies Team. Phone: 131 881 Email
Both Noosa Council and the Department of Home Affairs do not offer 'urgent' citizenship ceremonies.