Skip to Content

Noosa Shire Council

Tree and Vegetation Clearing Tree and Vegetation Clearing

Trees and vegetation on council property

If there are concerns regarding trees and vegetation on Council land, such as footpaths, parks and open spaces, a service request can be lodged via the link below.

Request tree and vegetation trimming
Report a fallen tree
Report suspected illegal removal
Enquire about a removal

Trees and vegetation on private property

Council regulates vegetation removal (plants and trees) from private land (freehold). New planning scheme amendments (28/10/2016) require a permit to clear vegetation on all private land in the shire.

It is an offence to damage or remove protected trees and plants without a permit or exemption and penalties may apply.

Clearing in a mapped Biodiversity Overlay area (Environment Protection/Enhancement or Riparian Buffer) for a house or shed will require a separate Material Change of Use permit. Please contact Council or a building certifier for further information.

Applying for approval to remove vegetation

To remove protected vegetation please submit the completed Clearing of Protected Vegetation application form, including a plan showing the location of the vegetation, to Council.

Submit the completed form and any supporting material to the development counter at level 2, 9 Pelican Street, Tewantin. Forms can also be emailed to Noosa Council or post to:

Noosa Council
PO Box 141

Note: As of July 1st 2017 Council charges an assessment fee of $35 per tree for up to 8 trees. Fees for 9 or more trees per application can be advised at the time of application. Council will issue a payment link to the applicant following an assessment. Upon payment of the applicable fee, a permit will be issued.


Residents do not need approval if vegetation removal is exempt clearing [210KB].

Vegetation may also be protected by:

  • covenants
  • drainage easements
  • development approval conditions.

Further Information

There may be a requirement to undertake a Flora Survey pursuant to Flora Survey Guidelines prior to any clearing activities pursuant to Chapter 4 of the Nature Conservation Wildlife Management Regulation 2006. Further information can be obtained at this website or by calling the  Department of Environment and Heritage Protection on 1300 130 372.

There may also be a requirement to obtain State Government Approval of a Species Management Plan prior to any activities that tamper with any place that is being used by a native animal for breeding activities. Further information regarding this matter can be obtained at this website or by calling the  Department of Environment and Heritage Protection on 1300 130 372.

If there is remnant vegetation on your property, such as areas of intact native bush or heathland, a permitmay be required from the Department of Environment and Heritage Protection.

All marine plants, such as mangroves, are protected under Queensland's Fisheries Act 1994. For more information visit the Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry website.

Neighbouring trees and overhanging branches

The Queensland Government's Neighbourhood Disputes Resolution Act 2011 provides advice for neighbours to help resolve disputes about dividing fences and trees.

The Act states that proper care and maintenance of a tree is the responsibility of the owner of the tree. It provides choices for neighbours on how to resolve tree issues such as overhanging branches.

According to the Act, it is up to the Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal (QCAT)  to deal with these issues.


For more information contact council customer service centre.