Skip to Content

Noosa Shire Council

Certification & Approvals Certification & Approvals

Building and Plumbing Work

State government regulations require anyone planning to commence building work to first obtain a development approval.

Some plumbing work may need to be inspected and a plumbing application shall be required.

Work can include and is not limited to new buildings, renovations, alterations or additions, construction of retaining walls, carports, sheds and swimming pools.

For further information please see headings below:


Building certifiers are responsible for assessing whether proposed building work complies with all relevant provisions of the Building Act and associated standards. The building certifier who issues the development approval must also carry out inspections to determine if the building work complies with the approval.

Building certifiers can provide general advice about the compliance of building work with the legislation. They are not permitted to design the building or carry out any of the work. Appropriate design professionals can provide specialist advice on building applications.

Building Approvals

Most types of building work require a development approval. You can obtain a development approval and general information from a private building certifier.

Council can offer advice in relation to the following -

Private building certifiers are not authorised to approve any building work that is contrary to the local planning scheme or the Queensland Development Code. If there is any uncertainty as to whether the proposed structure complies with the requirements of the local planning scheme or the Queensland Development Code, Council recommends property owners complete a Town Planning Appraisal Application [120KB].

A building application that requires a variation to the requirements of the Queensland Development Code or the local planning scheme must be submitted to Council prior to the building certifier granting approval.

For variations, complete a request for Referral Agency Response for Building Works.

Referral Agency Response for Building Works

For further information refer to the Department of Local Government, Racing and Multicultural Affairs  and Queensland's Planning System

Plumbing Approvals and Legislation

Plumbing Approvals

All plumbing work in Queensland is regulated by the State Government legislative requirements.

Contact a plumbing officer for information about plumbing approvals on (07) 5329 6480.

Plumbing Legislation

Plumbing is regulated by Council under the current State Government legislation, available for viewing on the Department of Local Government and Planning website.

  • Plumbing and Drainage Act 2018
  • Plumbing and Drainage Regulation 2019
  • Queensland Plumbing and Wastewater Code

Drainage and Hydraulic Plans

All hydraulic plans submitted to Council for plumbing approval must be completed to minimum requirements ;Hydraulic Plans – Minimum Requirements

Plumbers submitting as constructed drainage plans to Council should ensure their plans resemble the following sample plan:

As Constructed Drainage Plan Example
As Constructed Drainage Plan Template A4
As Constructed Drainage Plan Template A3

To retrieve existing as constructed drainage plans (within property boundary) from Council, complete a property search online request.

Temporary Home

If you wish to live onsite while you build your home, you may apply to Council for a Temporary Home permit. You must have building approval before you can apply for a permit.
Examples of a temporary home:

  • Tent
  • Car or Van
  • Caravan
  • Bus
  • Mobile home
  • Garage or shed

A permit can only be issued for the time your house is being built.

If further information is required please contact Council’s customer service centre.

Please contact Council’s Building and Plumbing team on (07) 5329 6480 to clarify if further approvals for your temporary home are required.

Please enter your name below to start chatting with a customer service officer