The Local Economic Plan supports the notion of exporting goods and services outside of the region – including international trade, in order to grow the economy. There are a range of federal and state government programs that provide advice and assistance to business looking to expand their reach.
Trade & Investment Queensland (TIQ) is the Queensland Government’s dedicated global business agency, with representation in 15 markets across the world who can help you find and take advantage of export opportunities. There is a Sunshine Coast based TIQ office with experienced trade advisors linked to international network:
100 Sportsman Pde
The TradeStart Program provides a network of experienced trade advisors located all over Queensland, including the Sunshine Coast, that are linked to Austrade and Trade and Investment Queensland's international trade networks.
These advisors are trade professionals and support small and medium regional businesses approach the global marketplace. They provide existing and new exporters with:
- export advice
- workshops & skill development programs
- access to international readiness indicators
- information on overseas markets
- trade missions and business introductions
- personalised information for individual businesses.
Export Market Development Grant
The Export Market Development Grants (EMDG) scheme is a financial assistance program for aspiring and current exporters. Administered by Austrade, the scheme supports businesses in a wide range of industry sectors to promote:
- the export of goods and most services
- inbound tourism
- the export of intellectual property and know-how
The program provides up to eight grants to eligible applicants and is designed to:
- encourage small and medium sized Australian businesses to develop export markets
- reimburse up to 50% of eligible export promotion
- assist with expenses above $5,000 provided that the total expenses are at least $15,000
Export Finance and Insurance Corporation
The Export Finance and Insurance Corporation (EFIC) is Australia’s export finance agency assisting small to medium sized enterprises that are in an export supply chain or looking to establish an overseas direct investment.
They operate on a commercial basis and assist with export finance, working capital and export contract bonds.
EFIC provide financial solutions to help business achieve international export success. Additionally EFIC undertake research to understand the export environment and provide educational material and tools to inform businesses on their export journey.