Skip to Content

Noosa Shire Council

Stormwater, Drainage and Hydraulic Plans Stormwater, Drainage and Hydraulic Plans


Most issues regarding water flowing across a neighbouring block (overland flow) are dealt with between the relevant property owners.

View an interactive map of your property's stormwater infrastructure here 

Note: By viewing this map you have agreed to Noosa Council's Terms of Use of this mapping system. Please be patient as maps may take up to 30 seconds to load due to the large amount of interactive data.

Council may become involved in issues relating to water flowing across a block if the water is being concentrated and directed onto a neighbouring property – for example, where:

  • a property owner has installed a down pipe that has an outlet near a neighbouring property
  • an agricultural drain or seepage drain outlet is causing the water to flow across a neighbouring property.

However, if water is flowing across a property due to any of the following, the owner should seek independent advice or deal with the neighbour directly:

  • The water is a naturally occurring overland flow.
  • The water is on the property because of the construction of a fence, wall, or building that is causing it to dam rather than flow.
  • The building dates from a time before the enactment of the Building Act (i.e. before 1975). Many properties dating from that time were not required to be connected to the stormwater system and consequently have pipes that simply empty onto the ground below.

If the water is the result of heavy rain such as that experienced from time to time on the Sunshine Coast, drains do not always cope. The legislation and regulations covering the dimensions of pipes and stormwater systems are written with average rainfalls in mind and do not make allowance for heavy deluges. For this reason, even approved stormwater disposal systems may appear inadequate on occasion due to extreme weather conditions. A licensed plumber and drain-layer can provide advice on pipes and drains.

Many water flow problems can be dealt with effectively by installing seepage drains. Seepage drains prevent pooling and allow the water to be directed away from properties and into the stormwater system. A licensed plumber and drain layer can provide advice on installing seepage drains and other measures to deal with stormwater.

Where to go for help

  • Speak to your neighbour first. Many people do not realise the problem is occurring and are happy to co-operate.
  • A licensed plumber and drain layer can provide advice on the source of water and how best to resolve the problem.
  • A solicitor can assist with other aspects, such as legal considerations between neighbours, including liability and damages.

Where landowners cannot resolve the problem, the State Justice Department Dispute Resolution Centre can provide mediation without legal action.

Drainage and Hydraulic Plans

All hydraulic plans submitted to Council for plumbing approval must be completed to a minimum before they will be considered.

To retrieve existing plumbing plans (within property boundary) from council, complete a property search online request.

Plumbers submitting plans to Council should ensure their plans resemble the following sample plan:

Plumbers may download and use the following plan templates:

Fact sheet