Support for Not-for-Profit Groups
Noosa Council’s Community Development Department provides a range of services for Not-for-Profit groups and organisations in our community including:
- Providing grants and assistance with grant applications
- Facilitating workshops
- Support and advocacy for community groups
- Maintenance assistance for Council’s assets used by community groups
- Linking community groups together for partnerships and efficiency
- A bimonthly e-news with resources, news, and opportunities called Noosa’s Community Connections.
COVID-19 and Recovery Series for Not-For-Profit Groups
Communicating and Meeting during COVID
In this webinar we will be covering how to hold regular meetings or decision making using technology, how to manage your AGM and how to stay engaged with your members while you may not be seeing them so regularly.
Shut Down, Restart, Repeat
In this webinar, we will discuss how to document the process of shutting down for disaster in your particular club and what you need to consider for making plans to restart in the future without wasting too much time on uncertain outcomes.
Managing Money and Laws In An Ever-Changing Framework
In this webinar, we will be covering what you can do immediately to reduce future expenses, request refunds and handle them yourselves if members are asking, as well as an update on what laws might apply and what concessions you may be eligible for.
Is Our Strategic Plan Even Relevant Now?
In this webinar we will discuss how to stay focused on the plan but innovate and change what outcomes that looked positive in 2019 now seem outdated and how to re-energise your members and bring them with you with great solutions that still meet those strategic objectives.
Funding For Recovery
As we move into recovery more funding opportunities are becoming available to assist associations and help get things (and people) moving again. The choices of what to apply for, how to apply and then how to manage the process if you are successful is going to need careful planning and management but it will be a good opportunity to actually grow your club. You’ll need to be ready to go and in this webinar, we will take you through what funding is available, from where and for what, so you can choose to get the best out of the available opportunities.
|View the slideshow of this webinar|
Workshop and Event Calendar 2020
This timetable is subject to change. Council will do our best to update and inform community of these changes.
|Date and Time||Workshop/Event||Location||Bookings|
Saturday 18 July 2020
First Aid Course, free first aid course for Noosa Shire volunteers
|Noosa Coast Guard HQ, off Garden Grove, Noosaville|
|Tuesday 8 September, 3.30 - 5pm||Volunteer Recruitment, Retnetion and Rewards||TBA||Bookings open 10 August 2020|
|Wednesday 16 September, 3.30 - 5.30pm||Social Media and Marketing for Community Groups||TBA||Bookings open 17 August 2020|
|Tuesday 6 October, 3.30 - 5.30pm||Conflict Resolution for Community Groups and Volunteers||TBA||Bookings open 7 September 2020|
|Tuesday 20 October, 3.30 - 5.30pm||Community Event Planning and Delivery||TBA||Bookings open 21 September|
|Friday 4 December, 9 - 11am||International Volunteers Day Celebration||Noosa Woods Park, Claude Batten Drv, Noosa Heads||Bookings open November 2020|
* Additional workshops and events may be added to this program throughout the year.
Previously held workshops
- Fraud Workshop for Community Organisations - this workshop provided preventative measures to protect your hard earned funds from temptation. Check out the presentation slides from Leisa Donlan & Office of Fair Trading.
- Workplace Health & Safety Workshop - In this workshop we covered new legislation that has come into play, what not for profits need to understand and are responsible for to keep their members and volunteers safe. Check out the presentation slides here [3.73MB].
- Secretaries' Meetup and Workshop - In this workshop we covered the huge role of the secretary within the law and within the organisation itself. Check out the presentation slides here [2360KB].
- Presidents' Meetup and Workshop - In this workshop we covered all aspects of meetings and how to make them actually work for your organisation, and the legal changes you need in your processes to make sure you are legally compliant. Check out the presentation slides here [1454KB] or recommended templates: Committee Meeting Agenda [43KB], AGM Agenda [41KB], Member Protection Policy [791KB].
- Treasurer's Meetup and Workshop - This workshop gave Noosa community group treasurers a great chance to meet, chat, and answer each other’s questions on everything weird and wonderful in treasurer’s land. Check out the Check out the presentation slides here. [5838KB]
Need assistance with incorporation? - Contact The Office of Fair Trading to set up an incorporated association. It also provides information on responsibilities once incorporated, and forms and fees and how to run the incorporated association, financial responsibilities for incorporated associations and even closing down an incorporated association on The Office of Fair Trading website.
Planning is a critical part of good governance and serves as a compass for the direction of an organisation’s future. The key components of planning include an understanding of the organisation’s vision, mission, values and strategies. There are a number of templates and websites that can assist:
- Our Community - Strategic versus operational planning - Help Sheet
- Australian Sports Commission
- A Sample Risk Management Plan
Local Community Insurance Services (LCIS) [554KB] is a specialist insurance provider established in consultation with Local Government Australia to manage insurance needs of clubs, associations and community groups within Australia. LCIS aims to assist not for profit organisations that meet the following characteristics:
- Provide services to the broader community
- Have a turnover / funding of up to $5 million per annum
- Do not distribute profits to members
- Consist mainly of volunteers
Resources about Queensland laws for Queensland organisations
Not-for-profit Law is a gold mine of information for community organisations.
- Amalgamating incorporated associations
- Changes to an incorporated association's rules
- Changing structure
- Incorporated association or company limited by guarantee
- Incorporating as an association
- Legal issues to consider when holding events
- Members' rights
- Which incorporated legal structure should we choose
Free Training Opportunities
Queensland Government’s FREE online training opportunities through the department's Building Active Communities Workshops program is now available. Online courses available are Committee Management, Financial Management, Volunteer Management, Marketing and Promotion and Fundraising, Grants and Sponsorship.
More details and registration.
Doing Building Works on Council Land
If your organisation is occupying (lease or permit) Noosa Council property you will need Noosa Council's consent before conducting any building works, internal or external. Liaise with your Community Development Officer and complete the Land Owners Consent Request.[50KB] Follow these guidelines to obtain Building Approval.
Sports Field Audit Forum
A sports turf consultant has audited sports fields around Noosa Shire. Council hosted a forum as a chance for sporting clubs to ask questions about how best to manage their fields. Here are the audit details.
The Independent Turf Consultant gave this presentation [7MB] to the sporting clubs.