Under the Queensland planning legislation, infrastructure charges are triggered and issued on development approvals for:
- Reconfiguration of a Lot
- Material Change of Use
- Building Work, and
- other development
Under the planning legislation, a levied charge paid to a local government must be used to provide trunk infrastructure. Council’s planning scheme identifies trunk infrastructure in Schedule 9.2-Schedule of Works of its Local Government Infrastructure Plan (LGIP).
Development approvals issued prior to 1 July 2011:
- Infrastructure contributions and/or charges continue to apply in accordance with the development approval and legislation at the time issued.
Development approvals issued from:
- 1 July 2011 are governed by Local Government Charges Resolutions in accordance with the Sustainable Planning Act 2009 and the State Planning Regulatory Provision Adopted Charges.
- 3 July 2017 are governed by Local Government Charges Resolutions in accordance with the Planning Act 2016 and the Planning Regulation 2017.
The Charges Resolution refers to and is to be read in conjunction with the Local Government Infrastructure Plan contained as Part 15 and Schedule 9 within Council's Planning Scheme.
The Noosa Shire Council Charges Resolution (No.4) 2019 was adopted on 19 September 2018 by Council.
The resolution applies to development approvals and charge notices issued from 23th September 2019.
Enquiries can be made via email or phone (07) 5329 6211 / 5329 6449 during office hours.
The Charges Resolution includes requirements for new development to pay charges towards the provision of trunk infrastructure for:
- Water Supply & Sewerage (Unitywater).
- Transport (Council).
- Stormwater (Council).
- Public Parks & Land for Community Facilities (Council).
In addition to specifying charge rates, the Charges Resolution also deals with other matters such as:
- Apportionment of charges between Unitywater and Council (Charges Break up agreement).
- Calculation of infrastructure charges including credits for existing lawful development or for previous contribution payments.
- Automatic increase provision (indexation) of charges from the base date to the time of issue to the time of payment.
- Offsets and refunds for “trunk” infrastructure identified in the LGIP that is land or works, to be provided by development.
- Recalculation of establishment costs for infrastructure offsets; and
- Conversion applications.
On 20 September 2018, Noosa Council adopted the “Noosa Shire Council Charges Resolution (No 3) 2018” replacing the Noosa Shire Council Charges Resolution (No.2) 2014 (Amendment 1). The resolution has the effect on development approvals and charge notices issued from 24th September 2018 to 22 September 2019 in accordance with the legislation current at the time of issue.
On 20 October 2016, Noosa Council adopted the "Noosa Shire Council Charges Resolution (No.2) 2014 (Amendment 1)" to reflect adopted amendments made to the planning scheme. The resolution has the effect on development approvals and charge notices issued from 28th October 2016 to 23 September 2018 in accordance with the legislation current at the time of issue.
On 12 February 2015, Noosa Council adopted the Noosa Shire Council Charges Resolution (No.2) 2014, replacing the Noosa Shire Council Adopted Infrastructure Charges Resolution (No.1) 2014, to include legislative amendments that commenced on 4 June 2014. The resolution has effect on development approvals and charge notices issued from 16th February 2015 to 27 October 2016.
On 6 February 2014, Noosa Council adopted the Noosa Shire Council Adopted Infrastructure Charges Resolution (No.1) 2014, replacing the Sunshine Coast Regional Council Adopted Infrastructure Charges Resolution (No.4) 2011 that transferred across to Noosa Council on 1 January 2014. The resolution has effect on development approvals and charge notices issued from 6th February 2014 to 15th February 2015.
Superseded - Other: At the Ordinary Meeting of 2 January 2014, Noosa Council repealed the Sunshine Coast Regional Council's Development Incentives (Build and Benefit) and ceased its application to development within the Noosa Planning Scheme area. All Build and Benefit applications approved by the Sunshine Coast Regional Council not finalised by 30 June 2015 expired and ceased to apply.
Council is committed to supporting community organisations. Rebates against payment of infrastructure contributions or charges are offered to eligible community organisations.
On 6 February 2014, Noosa Council adopted its policy Infrastructure Charges Rebates for Community Organisation.
A minor amendment to the policy was further made on 1 May 2014.
The Infrastructure Charges Rebates Community Organisations Policy only applies to contributions and charges relating to Council infrastructure networks. Rebates do not apply to Water Supply and Sewerage networks under the control of Unitywater.
A request for rebate may be made with the application and demonstrate compliance with the policy.
“Delayed Staged Payments” of Infrastructure Charges may be approved under agreement on prior application to Council in accordance with Council’s: Organisational Policy-Delayed Staged Payments of Infrastructure Charges.
Cheque or money order to be made payable to: Noosa Council
PO Box 141, Tewantin, QLD 4565
Noosa Council, 9 Pelican Street, Tewantin
Office hours: 8.30 am to 4.30 pm Monday to Friday (excludes public holidays)
Mastercard or Visa only
Note: All payments made by credit card will incur a 0.5% surcharge to reflect the cost of fees charged for credit card transactions.
Direct bank Transfer
Payment by electronic transfer direct to Council’s bank account is only available by special arrangement. Email Infrastructure Charges Officer for further enquiries.
- Infrastructure charges are subject to “Automatic Increase Provisions” (indexation) from the date they are issued to the date that payment is to be made.
- Please contact Council 5 days prior to making payment for the current amount due.
In accordance with the Planning Regulation 2017 amendments that commenced on 1 January 2020, the following information is provided for public downloading and viewing:
1. Noosa Shire Council Infrastructure Charges Register is in excel format detailing infrastructure contributions and charges issued on development in the Noosa Shire Council area applicable from 1 January 2014. This online version is updated monthly in accordance with regulatory requirements.
2. Noosa Shire Council Infrastructure Charges & Trunk Infrastructure Information is in excel format detailing:
- Financial year infrastructure charges revenue and expenditure summary
- Financial year trunk infrastructure information summary
- Forecast infrastructure charges revenue and trunk infrastructure expenditure summary
This online information is updated annually following the Council Annual Report in accordance with regulatory requirements.
3. Infrastructure Charges Notices issued after 1st January 2020 are available for viewing via Planning Online.