Noosa Council’s Community Development Department provides a range of services for Not-for-Profit groups and organisations in our community including:
- Providing grants and assistance with grant applications
- Facilitating grants workshops
- Support and advocacy for community groups
- Maintenance assistance for Council’s assets used by community groups
- Linking community groups together for partnerships and efficiency
- A quarterly e-news with resources, news, and opportunities called Noosa’s Community Connections.
Council is committed to supporting community based organisations by providing useful tips and information with good governance models that can improve business practices.
Presidents' Free Meetup and Workshop
- Flyer about this free workshop.
- Presentation slides[1454KB]. Templates: Committee Meeting Agenda[43KB], AGM Agenda[41KB], Member Protection Policy[791KB].
- About: In this workshop we covered all aspects of meetings and how to make them actually work for your organisation, and the legal changes you need in your processes to make sure you are legally compliant.
Secretaries Meetup and Workshop
- When: 4-7pm Wednesday 22 May
- Where: The J, 60 Noosa Drive, Noosa Junction
- Cost: FREE - RSVP here
- About: In this workshop we will cover the huge role of the secretary within the law and within the organisation itself.
Noosa Treasurer's Workshop and Facebook Group
This workshop held in October 2018 gave Noosa community group treasurers a great chance to meet, chat, and answer each other’s questions on everything weird and wonderful in treasurer’s land. Check out the presentation here [5838KB] and join the Noosa Treasurer’s facebook page here.
Need assistance with incorporation? - Contact The Office of Fair Trading to set up an incorporated association. It also provides information on responsibilities once incorporated, and forms and fees and how to run the incorporated association, financial responsibilities for incorporated associations and even closing down an incorporated association on The Office of Fair Trading website.
Planning is a critical part of good governance and serves as a compass for the direction of an organisation’s future. The key components of planning include an understanding of the organisation’s vision, mission, values and strategies. There are a number of templates and websites that can assist:
- Our Community - Strategic versus operational planning - Help Sheet
- Community Club Toolkit
- Australian Sports Commission
Local Community Insurance Services (LCIS) [554KB] is a specialist insurance provider established in consultation with Local Government Australia to manage insurance needs of clubs, associations and community groups within Australia. LCIS aims to assist not for profit organisations that meet the following characteristics:
- Provide services to the broader community
- Have a turnover / funding of up to $5 million per annum
- Do not distribute profits to members
- Consist mainly of volunteers
Resources about Queensland laws for Queensland organisations
Not-for-profit Law regularly runs webinars on a variety of topics that affect community organisations.
- Amalgamating incorporated associations
- Changes to an incorporated association's rules
- Changing structure
- Incorporated association or company limited by guarantee
- Incorporating as an association
- Legal issues to consider when holding events
- Members' rights
- Which incorporated legal structure should we choose
Free Training Opportunities
Queensland Government’s FREE online training opportunities through the department's Building Active Communities Workshops program is now available. Online courses available are Committee Management, Financial Management, Volunteer Management, Marketing and Promotion and Fundraising, Grants and Sponsorship.
More details and registration.
Doing Building Works on Council Land
If your organisation is occupying (lease or permit) Noosa Council property you will need Noosa Council's consent before conducting any building works, internal or external. Liaise with your Community Development Officer and complete the Land Owners Consent Request.[50KB] Follow these guidelines to obtain Building Approval.
Sports Field Audit Forum
A sports turf consultant has audited sports fields around Noosa Shire. In July 2017 Council hosted a forum as a chance for sporting clubs to ask questions about how best to manage their fields. Here are the audit details.
The Independent Turf Consultant gave this presentation [7MB] to the sporting clubs.