Business & Coronavirus Update - 8 May 2020
The easing of restrictions in Queensland saw the opening of more businesses over the weekend, as the number of confirmed COVID-19 cases continues to fall. We applaud the positivity and resilience of our business community and look forward to working with you all as we move towards the easing of further restrictions over the coming months.
A brief update for our businesses is below:
- The Business Roundtable met this week again providing an opportunity for our business community to share information and provide critical feedback to all levels of government. We encourage all businesses to feed their concerns and issues to their respective Business Associations for tabling at these meetings.
- We encourage all business owners and staff to download the COVID Safe App to help slow the spreads of COVID-19 through more effective and timely tracing.
- More information regarding mediation services for commercial landlord/tenant disputes is expected to be released within the next fortnight.
- Businesses are still able to apply for the JobKeeper Payment. Criteria and deadlines are being udpated regularly, so please ensure to stay informed through your accountant and/or from the ATO website. The ATO’s latest update includes a video about the JobKeeper Payment for Sole Traders.
- The Queensland Government has announced that the JobKeeper Payment is not liable for Queensland payroll tax. More information
- For businesses that are re-opening, the following resources are available:
- Business Safety Posters reflecting the updated guidelines
- Safework Australia has information for specific industries on creating COVID safe workplaces, including hospitality, retail and construction
- Please note that Council, in conjunction with Tourism Noosa and the Business Round table are preparing a Roadmap for Recovery for our local businesses as restrictions start to ease and we re-open our local economy. Make sure you have subscribed to our newsletter for updates.
- Council’s Subsidised Business Support Program is still available to support our local businesses. As restrictions ease and business re-open this may provide a good opportunity for you to work with a specialist to grow your business – specialists in the areas of Business Planning, Innovation, HR, Marketing and Online retail are available.
- Small Business Wage Subsidy is now open to assist businesses retain existing apprentices and trainees.
- Use the Search tool on the Coronavirus Business Assistance Finder to find out what your business qualifies for. It is regularly updated with new support measures from Federal, State and Local governments
- Read the Queensland Small Business Champions Update – Maree has been a wonderful advocatee for all QLD Small Businesses and is also a participant on our Business Roundtable
Wishing you all a lovely weekend and Happy Mothers Day to all the mums out there, hoping you get spoilt.
Director, Environment & Sustainable Development
Noosa Shire Council