How do I know which plastics can go into the yellow-lid recycle bin?
What is Plastic Free Noosa?
Where can I find out about composting and worm farms?
How does recycling work in Noosa?
The contents of your yellow-lid recycling bin are collected by our contractor, Cleanaway, and transported to The Materials Recovery Facility or MRF at Bli Bli.
The MRF (pronounced ‘murf’) receives the co-mingled recyclables. Items are sorted and separated into material types using mechanical and manual processes. The MRF also removes contaminants (e.g. plastic bags).
The sorted recyclables – paper and cardboard, steel cans, aluminium cans, glass and plastics (#1-6) are then transported from the MRF by Visy to be sold into markets for recyclables. They are then reprocessed into new products.
What can be recycled at Council's Landfill and Resource Recovery Centre?
What else can I recycle?
|The following items can be disposed at various locations free of charge: |
What are other ways to avoid sending unwanted items to landfill?
- Reviva Shop - At the Noosa landfill, drop off good quality unwanted items or shop and purchase a bargain!
- Teracycle - offers a variety of programs through which you may recycle Free Recycling Programs
- Freecycle - people giving and receiving products for free
- Garage Sale Trail – annual coordinated garage sales
- Gumtree - an online marketplace
- TuShare - give and get great stuff for free
- Spare Harvest – share or swap what people have spare in their gardens or farms
- Oz Harvest - connects local food businesses with local charities for the benefit of people in need
- Plastic Free Noosa – find out how you can reduce plastic in your life or business
- View the Recycling Guide or use council’s RecycleSmart App!