Mid-year Masterclass series to draw artists from around Australia
Noosa Regional Gallery today announced the launch of an inaugural Masterclass Series.
The initiative will see eight acclaimed artists from around the country run skills development workshops with local artists.
The masterclasses, which will be limited to a small number of participants, will be held every two weeks from May through to August 2019.
“We are thrilled to give participants the opportunity to learn directly from some of the country’s leading artists,” Gallery Director Michael Brennan said.
The artists delivering these masterclasses include Archibald Prize winning painter, Sam Leach.
“In the same year that he won the Archibald, Leach also won the Wynne Prize for landscape, becoming only the third artist after William Dobell and Brett Whitely to do so, so he is highly acclaimed,” Mr Brennan said.
2019 Montalto Sculpture Prize winner, Kylie Stillman, is also confirmed.
“The Sunshine Coast’s own Rowley Drysdale, one of Australian’s foremost ceramic artists and founder of Quixotica Art Space in Cooroy, will also share his skills with masterclass participants.
“The chance to work alongside artists of this calibre doesn’t come around often outside of capital cities. To be able to secure so many talented people for one workshop program is quite remarkable – it’s an opportunity not to be missed,” Mr Brennan said.
The Masterclass Series follows the success of Godwin Bradbeer’s intensive drawing workshop at the Gallery in late 2018.
“The demand was so great and the feedback so positive, Bradbeer has been invited back again this year alongside seven of his contemporaries,” Mr Brennan said.
Noosa Regional Gallery Masterclass Series 2019
- Saturday 4 May: The Art and Science of Landscape Painting, with Sam Leach
- Saturday 18 – Sunday 19 May: Drawn to Animation, with Todd Fuller
- Saturday 1 – Sunday 2 June: The Instant Muse: Creating Sculptures for Painting, with Juan Ford
- Saturday 8 June: Demystifying Oil Painting, with Victoria Reichelt
- Saturday 29 – Sunday 30 June: Describing the Body, with Godwin Bradbeer
- Saturday 27 – Sunday 28 July: Wheel Throwing Masterclass, with Rowley Drysdale
- Saturday 10 – Sunday 11 August: Contemporary Stitching: Signage within Urban Landscapes, with Michelle Hamer
- Saturday 24 August: Sculpted Books: Old Books Reborn, with Kylie Stillman
Class numbers are strictly limited to ensure a personalised learning experience for each participant.
Only at Noosa Regional Gallery from 4 May to 24 August 2019.
For more information and to book your place, visit the Gallery's website.
Or pick up a full Masterclass Series program from Noosa Regional Gallery
5 April 2019